SCBWI’s “PAL” stands for published and listed. “PAL membership status is open to those who have had at least one book or article published by traditional publishing houses that meet our PAL Publisher Guidelines and are listed on our PAL Publishers list.” (SCBWI.org)
SCBWI Oklahoma is excited to offer a number of special programs and events specifically for our PAL members. Beginning in 2020, we will introduce the following new leadership positions: Tulsa Area PAL Coordinator, Jennifer Sneed; OKC Area PAL Coordinator, Desiree Webber; and a Read Local Coordinator, Trey Hays.
The Tulsa and OKC PAL Coordinators will plan quarterly events in their areas that will be open to all PAL members.
The Read Local Coordinator will work to promote the Read Local OK program. It’s a special program promoting SCBWI Oklahoma PAL members and their work.
The program engages teachers and librarians and encourages students to Read Local with our Read Local Challenge. Students read PAL books and enter the challenge to win prizes. A Read Local OK website will promote our local authors and have resources available for librarians, teachers, and students. The goal is to support Oklahoma SCBWI authors and illustrators by promoting their work.
o Profiles of Read Local OK authors with biographical and book information, as well as links to book school visits.
o Info about the Read Local OK Challenge, a reading program that rewards students for reading locally.
o Downloadable teacher resources provided by Read Local OK authors.
o The opportunity to book free Skype, Google Hangouts, or other forms of group presentation platforms for Q&A sessions with a panel of Read Local OK authors.
o The option for Read Local OK authors to print and distribute materials about the program to schools, libraries and book stores, including Read Local Challenge posters, as well as postcards about the Free Read Local OK Skype visits.
o Promotion of the program at conferences, festivals and other events.
• Be a current PAL member of SCBWI. Learn more about the requirements for PAL status with SCBWI here: https://www.scbwi.org/membership-categories-new/
• Have a current book in-print or available from at least two libraries or bookstores in Oklahoma to use as your featured title for the Read Local OK Challenge.
• Your featured book must be published by an established SCBWI-approved Publisher.
* Keep your profile updated on the website (training available if needed)
* Promote the program in-person and via social media
* Provide downloadable teacher resources for the website (ex: book discussion guides, writing tips, etc)
* Provide 2 signed books plus optional book swag as prizes for the Read Local OK Reading Challenge